In this picture a concrete structure seems
to dissolve under pixelated clouds and abstracted water patterns. The water image on the left is atomized into
a line-screen pattern as you look closer.
'Before the Flood' Mixed Media on Aluminum 30"W x 20"H
The white shapes that span the image oscillate
between flat abstract elements on the picture surface and reflective waves on water. The piece presents imagery and yet interferes
with the imagery.
I've made the painting to be something interesting to look at and that will draw you in. Symbolism is suggested but never confirmed:
- The structure could represent the reality we build around ourselves.
- The concrete could represent permanence and solidity.
- The water could represent movement and constant change - perhaps the opposite of permanence.
But equally, opposite readings could be equally valid.
- the structure could represent a reality that is imposed on us.
- The concrete construction could represent lack of permanence since it is a building under construction.
- The water could represent permanence. Even though it is fluid, its appearance and behaviour is always the same.
So, what does this painting 'mean'? It is meaningful, in that it is full of meanings - but does not reduce to a single meaning.